Monday, September 13, 2010

Hard habit

It's hard to get back into the habit of writing here.  It's odd because for so many years writing online was a part of my daily routine.  I started blahgging in 7th or 8th grade, before anybody had a sassy name for it.  I built a dumpy looking but highly functional Tripod page where I posted "Dear Diary, Today was fun..."-type entries, photos, embarrassing poetry, and an extensive alphabetical list of bands I listened to, with links to their websites or UBL entries.  I was a lonely nerd and the internet offered me many solaces.

If I look back at my various online journals and weblogs from the past fifteen years (?!!), very clear patterns emerge.  Up until a few of years ago, when I've been at my most sad, lonely, stressed, lost, etc., I blahg noticeably(/exponentially) more.  When my life has been on the up and up, my entries are generally shorter and farther apart, but still clearly convey the state of things.  At some point all my posts began getting more concise, less all-revealing, and generally infrequent, for probably a variety of reasons.  Facebook (but not Twitter) certainly played a role, but also I just have had more and more people to spend time and share with and perhaps as a result have felt less of a need to vent my life to the internet.

All this to say, I need to find some new inspiration lest I post nothing but entries that could be boiled down to one of the following titles:

"Grad school is so hard."
"My boyfriend is so great."
"My cat is sooo cute."
"Bikes are so fun."
"Indian food is so delicious."
"I so need caffeine."

Hmm. Maybe I stopped blahgging so much simply because I ran out of things that felt worth talking about in such a forum. HMMMM.

3 comments:

  1. If you really work at it, don't you think all blogs can generally be boiled down to a couple key general topics? of course i suppose that's why people will have blog categories. :P

    What if you took a different tact to the blogging? More pictures in your blog? how about a blog that asks the questions you're struggling with in thesis/class? Nothing wrong with a "Bikes are fun" post in there every once in a while too.

    The point you make about the relationship between blogging frequency and state of mind is totally spot on. I think when we have people and things going on in our lives that make us happy we just tend to not need this space to vent. As we become disenchanted or grumpy, the anonymous and empty void of the internet is a great place to pour our frustrations into.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. We should all go eat Indian food some night after class...

    2. Making my blog a sometimes-interactive space makes a whooole lotta sense. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete